Having enemies both at home and abroad, the Royal Citadel was marked by an unusual feature with guns pointing both out to sea and inland towards the city.
The earliest record of cargo leaving Plymouth dates from 1211, and for the next two centuries trade through Plymouth flourished, particularly during the 100 Years War with France.
During the second world war large parts of Plymouth were destroyed, but lots of the Barbican area survived with its interesting mediaeval streets and Tudor Dwellings.
There were many other groups of settlers who set sail for different parts of the New World – Australia, America, Canada and New Zealand, including convicts, among them the Tolpuddle Martyrs in 1834 who, having been fully pardoned, were back sooner than they had anticipated and who spent several nights in 1838 in the Dolphin Hotel here before returning to Dorset.
Pathe News In New Street you will find the 'Elizabethan House', a beautifully restored Captain's dwelling dating from 1548.
His new construction was a complete success and his use of joint masonry would become a template for the construction of other lighthouses throughout the world.
Indeed, Smeaton's Tower would still stand on Eddystone's Rock were it not for the fissures in the rock caused by the undermining of the sea.After a sound 127 years of service, Smeaton's Tower had become a landmark dearly loved by Plymouth's residents.Although new technology had now superseded Smeaton's Tower, in 1882 Plymouth's locals raised funds to have it dismantled and re-erected on Plymouth's Hoe – a testament and a tribute to Smeaton's engineering brilliance.Old Photos of Plymouth Plymouth Hoe provides a great, relaxing view-point to watch ships sail in and out of Plymouth Sound,with views out to Drake's Island, Mount Batten, Mount Edgecumbe Park and the Eddystone Lighthouse. Also located within the Plymouth Hoe is Smeaton's Tower a world famous lighthouse.Built in 1759, Smeaton's Tower was the fourth tower to guide ships safely through Plymouth's port.In the house, you can see the original windows, spiral staircase winding around an old ship's mast. Based in Southside Street on the historic Barbican,it was operating at least as long ago as the 16th century, and was open when Sir Francis Drake played bowls on Plymouth Hoe before turning his attention to the Spanish Armada.